History

In 1971 the story of our school begins due to the efforts of Offaly VEC and the Sisters of Mercy. The school began as eight prefabricated classrooms. Three members of the staff of the Secondary Top, which had begun to offer second level education in 1950 and run by the Sisters of Mercy were appointed, Sr. Joan Molloy, Miss Gertie Horan and Sr. Virgilius Maxwell was appointed as Vice Principal. Mr John Keane was appointed Principal. The school opened officially on 7th September but did not move to its present site until the 4th October 1971. Permission was granted in September 1976 to begin Senior Cycle and culminated in the first Leaving Cert class graduating in 1978.

By the 1980s, age and wear and tear began to tell on the prefabs. A campaign began to obtain sanction from the Dept of Education for the erection of a new school. The new school was given the green light in 1987 and was officially opened on the 1st Oct 1990. Further extensions of the building took place in 2003-2004 resulting in the present state of the art building. In 2007 the school changed its name from Kilcormac Vocational School to Coláiste Naomh Cormac.

One of the more notable features of our school is the sense of community amongst staff, students, parents and the wider community. The wider community has always had a great sense of pride in its school and have shown this through their continued support.

As the school celebrated its 50th anniversary we acknowledge the contribution of all who made it possible to provide a first class education to the young people of Kilcormac and its surrounding areas.

Coláiste Naomh Cormac is Celebrating 50 Years of Excellence